Thursday, March 27, 2008

Making Changes so That You Can Commit

I had a major problem this week where I committed to doing something and then had other things come up that did not allow me to focus on what I had committed to. I realized that if it was all that important I would have made a firm commitment to focusing on that specific thing. I realized that it is these things that get us in trouble.

When an individual commits to something that is not really important, they are starting to get off the path. In deciding how and when to make commitments one needs to heed this advice. If you have not kept a commitment it cannot be that important.

It is time to reevaluate the level of the commitment and why you made it in the first place. It is also part of a bigger picture and shows you that you are operating on reflex and not on purpose. When one is dedicated to making and keeping commitments,this focus of operating on purpose is the thing that makes the commitment easy to keep.

In future I will think twice about making a commitment, especially to something I already know is not in my plan. I learned an important lesson this week. Its easy to commit and keep a commitment especially if its something that is important in your life. If its marginal then its time to move on, so that you do not make a commitment reluctantly and get yourself in trouble later, by not keeping you promise to do what you say you will do.

Kensel Tracy is a personal and business coach, ( The Marketing Coach) and has written the book " The Ten Commitments to a Better Life". It is available at Amazon.com. Kensel can be reached for coaching assignments at kenselt@sympatico.ca

No comments: