Saturday, November 3, 2007

Commit to Happiness


My thoughts are turning to winter here in Canada and soon the ground will be covered in snow. The summer is behind me now. As usual I tend to get a little sad about the loss of the plants, leaves and greenery as we settle in for the bland months. This year however I have committed myself to just being happy.

I know that sounds simple enough, but it really is. If you are living your life in integrity, happiness is easy to find. When one is living their life without worrying about the past and is more present centered then its really easy to be happy. A lot of unhappy people are still letting there past dictate their present. They are always reverting back to those unhappy memories, wishing they could change something or feeling guilty for something that happened a long time ago.

A while back I read in a book, I can't remember where,the writer defined every day a new day as long as his feet hit the ground. I remember at that time thinking that I could be reborn everyday and that I would from then on forgive myself for the things I did yesterday and live this day like it was my last.

The cool thing about that is, my outlook changed almost immediately. I felt happy and carefree just like a kid again, when summers lasted forever and days seemed like eternity. At that time I committed to trying to experience every day in the present. Once in the present I could change my way of thinking and commit to being happier. In fact without working too hard at it I found myself singing, smiling, being open with everyone I met and generally being more accepting to everything and everyone.

I now make it a point to smile at everyone I meet and say " how's your day going". It's interesting to see the response. In the coffee bar the other day, the women serving a lineup of people, stopped, looked up and said with a smile on her face, really good thanks. Here she was at 7:30 in the morning looking tired from starting at 4:00 am and she took the time to smile and reinforce my own day.

So today, try to commit to sharing more of your day with others. If your questing or re-questing for something, the piece of the puzzle may come from the people you meet. Open yourself to being happier, let the universe shine its light on you and remember -- it all will be given, you just need to notice.

Kensel Tracy is a personal and business coach, and author of "The Ten Commitments to a Better Life." You can get it a Amazon.com

1 comment:

TODD TAYLOR said...

"Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something."
~~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.